Some video game stuff in this week’s What I’ve Been Reading. Also, the death of net neutrality (BOOOO!), and porn star dating? Don’t worry, it’s safe for work.
- Indie games have achieved a high level of popularity, and they can often turn a significant profit with a fraction of the budget of AAA title. Shamus Young of The Escapist explains why this is bad news for the AAA segment of the game industry. AAA studios need to find some way to rein in their exploding budgets. Or perhaps a return to “AA” titles that represent a lower financial risk might be just what the industry needs.
- Adam Clark Estes of Gizmodo reports on the effective death of net neutrality in the United States. I’m too fucking angry to comment on this right now, so I’ll let Nilay Patel of The Verge express my anger for me. Don’t think net neutrality is a big deal? This graphic explains why you should be afraid. Very, very afraid.
- It’s every guy’s dream to date a porn star, right? Think again. Pornographic actress Shae Snow has discovered that’s not the case. (Courtesy of Cannibal. Yes, this link is safe for work.)
- Everybody remembers Ross and Rachel from Friends, right? Fewer people, though, seem to think of the show’s other (and better) main couple, Chandler and Monica. Josef Adalian of Vulture has a detailed look into how the writers of Friends decided to pair off Channy and Monmon. (I’m the only person who calls them that.)
- Voice input seems to be the wave of the future, but there are a number of roadblocks to its implementation. One of the main ones is that voice recognition software is terrible at identifying homophones. Jason Johnson of Kill Screen has a look at these roadblocks and what the future of voice technology holds.
- A handy comic strip/infographic about Québec’s hella racist Charter of Values.
- Finally, Tony Wilson of Dorkly has turned Gone Home into a real video game.
I’m sorry I didn’t write any articles for the blog this week. I’m currently working on a very lengthy piece, but it’s proving difficult to write. To be frank, I don’t know if I’ll ever have the willpower to finish it, but if I do, I think it’ll be worth it.
I probably shouldn’t have tagged this post with “Shae Snow.” Now it might get flagged. *sigh*
As always, feel free to leave comments below.